While it may not be the most glamorous of home furnishings or something you might show off to guests, Toilet Seat Risers create an opportunity for elderly patients or those recovering from certain surgeries to hold onto their independence. Let's face it, there are certain activities that take place in the bathroom that are more sensitive than others & for patients who might need assistance; the process may feel as though they're compromising their dignity. For those taking care of their older parents, it's extremely difficult coming to terms with the fact that their parents have reached that point in their lives that they require that level of care. Products like these Toilet Seat Risers & Toilet Frames can help Mom or Dad embark on these sensitive endeavors without needing assistance in standing or sitting.
Toilet seat risers or toilet risers are assistive technology devices to improve the accessibility of toilets to older people or those with disabilities.They can aid in transfer from wheelchairs, and may help prevent falls; most falls in the elderly occur in the bathroom. Inappropriately high risers may actually increase fall risk. Let's take a closer look at the 3.5" Toilet Riser from Drive Medical. Some of the key features & benefits for this particular model are:
- Adds 3.5 inches of height to toilet's seating surface.
- Allows individual to use existing toilet seat and lid.
- Heavy-duty molded plastic construction.
- Lightweight, portable, and easily attaches to toilet bowl.
- No tools required for installation.
- Easy to clean.
- Two models to accommodate standard or elongated toilet bowls.
The key take-a-ways about this model are:
- You can continue to use your existing toilet seat, adds height between the seat & the bowl
- Doesn't require any additional tools
- There are 2 models that fit most toilet styles whether round or more elongated
When combined with a Toilet Safety Frame With Adjustable Arms, you've just created a scenario around the toilet that provides an additional level of safety & security as well providing patients with the confidence necessary in being able to manage this activity on their own. This particular model features:
- Anodized aluminum is sturdy and lightweight.
- Plastic armrests provide additional comfort and support.
- Comes with height-adjustable (1" increments) and width-adjustable arms (2 positions).
- Powder-coated aluminum bracket easily attaches frame to toilet.
- Bracket secures safety frame in place.
So the combination of these 2 products can be adjusted to fit the height as well as the comfort level for patients of any height &/or mobility requirement. With weight capacities of nearly 300lbs, you can feel confident in knowing that the sturdy construction will help support you while transitioning from a wheelchair to your toilet. Depending on the layout of your bathroom, the toilet frames have also been used like a grab bar or safety rail to help you feel confident in getting in & out of the shower or bathtub as well.